Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Super-Sticky Chicken, Holy Haluski and Creamy Garlic Dressing

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been struggling with headaches for longer than I want to think about. Last week my husband was travelling. As a result of him being gone, I had a busier week and my headaches were worse - so my kids fended for themselves at mealtimes.

If I haven't mentioned it before - I am collector of recipes, recipe books and recipe magazines. I love them all. I love to try new recipes on a regular basis. I knew I needed to get back into the swing of cooking meals and blogging. So...here we are.



Super-Sticky Chicken

2 lbs of chicken pieces (I used quarts - legs with the back attached)
3 garlic cloves, crushed (I used minced garlic in the jar)
3 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp ground ginger

Place chicken pieces in large dish/roasting pan.

Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Pour over chicken, turn and coat. Leave to marinate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and back chicen for 30 minutes. Turn to coat and bake another 30 minutes. Check for doneness. May need a few more minutes depending on size and number of chicken pieces.
Because of my busy day, I was unable to marinate the chicken for an hour. In the future I would marinate it at least an hour - and possibly overnight. It wouldn't hurt. This has nice flavor.

Holy Haluski
This recipe is from the November issue of Food Network Magazine. My husband and son are fans of the show, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. This is a traditional Polish recipe he experienced while visiting Kelly O's Diner in Pittsburgh, PA. He made some adjustments and I did the same. I left out a couple of ingredients and was very happy with the results.
3 tbsp butter
4 oz thinly sliced pancetta, diced (bacon can be used - but I like the flavor of the pancetta)
2 large onions, sliced
1 medium head of cabbage sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 cup carrots, cut in 1/4 inch julienne
1 tsp kosher salt (regular salt works the same)
2 tsp black pepper
8 oz. wide egg noodles
3 tbsp minced garlic (again, I used the minced in a jar)
1/4 cup while wine
1 tbsp lemon juice
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the noodles.
In a large pot, melt 1 tbsp of the butter over medium heat and add the pancetta. Cook, stirring, until crisp - 12 to 14 minutes. Remove the pancetta to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
Add 2 tbsp butter to the pancetta fat and melt. Add the onions, cabbage and carrots. Season with the salt and pepper. Stir to coat the vegetables with the butter. Cover and cook til the cabbage is wilted and almost tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer til the cabbage is very tender, about 10 more minutes.
While the cabbage cooks, add the noodles to the boiling water and cook according to the directions on the package.
Increase the heat to high , stirring until the cabbage and onions are golden, 10 - 12 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the white wine to deglaze the pan (stirring to release the yummy bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan). Stir in the lemon juice. Add 3/4 of the pancetta, combine well and remove from heat.
Drain the noodles and add to the pot with the cabbage. Toss well to coat the noodleswith the cabbage mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining pancetta and serve immediately.

This dish was amazing. There are very few recipes that I make that all 5 of us love. I encourage everyone to "critic" a new recipe. What would they change, add, take away...They are not so much critical of the cooking - but the recipe. For this one - they all loved. It is an interesting dish...unusual - but sooo yummy. Definitely a keeper - one for the binder JD.

Creamy Garlic Dressing
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp minced garlic - yes, from the jar :0)
In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine all ingredients; shake well. Chill.
Refrigerate leftovers. Makes 1 2/3 cup.
I used a dish and whisked the ingredients. I used about 1/3 of the dressing on romaine lettuce with some chopped mushrooms (yes JD mushrooms) and cucumber. Any lettuce mixture and add -ins can be used. Nice flavor.

2 comments:

  1. My first reaction was Holy Huh??? But as I read through the recipe, I could kind of envision it in my head (the photo always helps!), and it sounds like it would be really good.

    I had never heard of pancetta. I learn something new (or ten somethings) every time I read your blog. That's great that the family all enjoyed it. Wait, was it just the five of you at the table? That's rare! I'll fix that.... soon... ;)

    Never heard of hoisin sauce either, but the chicken recipe sounds great too. I usually marinate meat overnight too because it's nice to prepare things the night before, and just get the kids to throw it in the oven when they get home from school.


    Given my aversion to mushrooms (love you anyway!), and my limited intake of dairy products... even though that last recipe looks good and sounds good, it probably wouldn't make it to my binder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pancetta is an italian "bacon". I find it in the deli or cold meat section - it is usually round and very thinly sliced. There is a lot of fat compared to "meat". Nice flavor though.

    Yes - 5 at the table - and all family too :0) how odd is that!!

    Hoisin sauce is used in Asian cooking. You don't need much - very yummy as well.

    The dressing was very nice - different - considering the "strongest" ingredient is the garlic - every recipe had garlic - hmmm - don't breath to deep around here!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete