Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hearty Beef Stew

My middle child, Nelson, loves stew. It is one of his favorites. Not so with my husband. Since my husband was away this week on business I decided to make some. I love stew from a slow cooker. The meat cooking for 8 or 9 hours really does just fall apart. This was a new recipe - and it calls for hoisin Sauce (used in oriental cooking). I liked the addition.


Hearty Beef Stew


2 tbsp butter
2 lbs beef stew meat
1 tbsp minced garlic
12 oz pkg of mushrooms , cut in half
1 1/2 large sweet onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 parsnips, cut into 1/2 - 1 inch slices
3 carrots, cut into 1/2 - 1 inch slices
1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 - 1 1/2 lbs baby potatoes, quartered, about 10 potatoes
2 - 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 - 14 oz cans beef broth
2/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tsp dried thyme


Melt butter in skilled until sizzling, add beef and garlic. Cover over medium-high heat until beef is browned (4 - 5 minutes). You might need to do this in batches. Put all ingredients into slow cooker with rest of vegetables.

In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, broth, hoisin sauce and thyme and pour over slow cooker ingredients - stir to combine.

Cook on low for 8 - 9 hours. I did turn it to high for the last hour or so. Not sure if it was necessary.


Here is the finished product. This was most definitely a heart stew. Great flavors. A little soupy. Next time I would try flouring the beef just before frying. The flour will then mix with the liquids and help thickening things up as it cooks.

The nice thing about stews is you can throw in whatever vegetables you have on hand. I love the root veggies so plan ahead and make sure I have them on hand when I make stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment