Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Oven Baked Chicken, Mushroom Rice Pilaf, Tossed Salad

I love fried chicken - but not very often. It just isn't good for you. So.. over the years I have tried various recipes for "baked" fried chicken. Finally one that is a keeper. This was nice & crispy.

Oven-Baked Chicken (serves 8 - 10)

1 tbsp butter
2/3 cup Bisquick mix
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cut-up whole chicken (mine was under 3 lbs and I was serving 7 people so I bought 2 chickens)
My grocery store had whole chickens on for 99 cents a pound. They also had the same chickens cut-up for the same price. I bought 2 of each. I love oven baked whole chickens - and then use the leftovers for sandwiches or on a salad. In each package of cut up chicken was 2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 wings and 2 drumsticks. It also included giblets - which I tossed in the garbage.
Heat oven to 425 degree. In 9 x 13 inch baking dish, melt butter in oven. (I omitted this step, didn't think I needed the butter although next time I would spray the pans for easier clean up. One reason for the butter is more about putting the chicken in an already warm dish.)
In medium bowl, stir together Bisquick, paprika, salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and pepper.

Coat chicken with mixture. Place skin side down in heated dish. (oops, apparently I missed this instruction....I don't think it really mattered...but will try to remember this next time and see if it makes a difference.)
Bake 30 minutes, turn chicken and back another 30 minutes, or until juice of chicken is clear.


Isn't the color beautiful? The skin was crispy - the chicken was juicy - not dried out at all.



Mushroom Rice Pilaf (Serves 8)
1 cup green pepper
1 cup onion
1 cup mushrooms
2 tbsp butter
4 cups water
2 cups long grain rice
3 tsp chicken bouillon
3 tsp parsley
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
In a saucepan, melt butter.
Chop green pepper, onion and slice mushrooms.

Add vegetables in pan with melted butter, saute until tender.

Stir in the water, rice, bouillon, parsley, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes on low, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

I really enjoyed the rice dish - although next time I would switch out the green pepper for celery. The green pepper didn't really add anything to the dish - and I think the celery would add a nice crunch to the dish.
I also served tossed salad. I buy the bagged salad mix. I serve the salad mix in a bowl and then add fixings at the table. I put individual toppings in bowls, such as cucumber, mushrooms, cheese, croutons and tomatoes. The salad dressings also go on the table. I find everyone makes the salad they want to eat and what is left goes into the fridge for another day. I used to put the fixings in the salad and add the dressing - and if it didn't get eaten it was pretty much wasted as it got so soggy before the next meal. My family quite likes this and less waste is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Ohmygosh that chicken sounds amaaaaaaaahzing. Chicken's on sale at Superstore right now, I'll be picking some up tomorrow night to try this over the weekend. I think it's going to be a favorite -- I trust you!

    Well, as much as I do trust you, I did skip over the next recipe... you said you'd switch the green pepper for celery -- I'd switch the mushrooms for both green pepper and celery :D


    I *heart* you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes JD - I can understand about the mushroom thing :0) And this dish is one that leaves lots of room to switch up the veggies...diced carrots instead? And the chicken was Amaaaaaaaaagzing!!!!

    ReplyDelete