Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sorta Swiss Steak

Swiss steak is a comfort food in our home. I have a recipe I have used for years - but it requires my slow cooker and this morning I decided I wanted Swiss steak - but my meat wasn't thawed. So I went online and did a search for a different sort of recipe using cubed steak. Most of the recipes were for "chicken fried steak" - I didn't really want that - so kept looking til I found this one and decided to give it a try. The name alone was intriguing.


Sorta Swiss Steak


1 lb cubed beef steak
1 cup flour, divided
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp oil
1 large onion
2 cups beef broth
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce


Our grocery store has a regular deal which is 5 meats for 19.95. The variety changes week to week and occasionally they do this and you get the 6th one free. The prices are amazing - you pay 3.99 each and on the week that the 6th is free - the price is even better. I tend to watch for this deal and stock up. Last week they had cubed steak as well as other great meats included in this offer. I filled my freezer. For this recipe I used 2 lbs of meat because I was feeding 6 people . Each package had about 1 lb and 4 pieces of meat.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Salt and pepper the meat and dredge in flour.

Set aside and finishing dredging the rest of the meat.

Heat oil over medium high heat. Brown meat 4 to 5 minutes total. Not cooked - just to get a nice crust on meat.
Once meat is browned, set aside on a plate and continue to brown the rest of the meat.
Slice onion into wedges.
Layer onion in the bottom of a roast pan and top with a layer of meat.

Continue to layer - I had 3 layers of onion and 2 of meat. Pour beef broth and Worcestershire sauce over layers.

Cover and bake for 2 hours.

This is the completed dish. Everyone really enjoyed this version of Swiss steak. I am not sure if I will ever go back to the other. The meat was incredibly tender. The onion picked up some amazing flavors. My husband raved about this.

I served this with beets (frozen by me this summer), boiled Yukon gold potatoes & peas.



No comments:

Post a Comment